Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Cold Strawberry Pie

I love to cook, but baking is a semi-new territory for me. I recently decided that I will bake more this year. Of course, I went to Mike for inspiration. He told me that he craved Cold Strawberry Pie. He only had it once, years ago, and really wanted me to make it. I asked him what it was like (I never had strawberry pie before and there are lots of different ways to make it) but all he remembered was "it was good." So I searched high and low and came across this one. I tried it last week and it was delicious! I altered the recipe (added less sugar and gelatin) because that's what I do with recipes. I gotta make it my own!


Ingredients:
1 (9-inch) pie crust, baked
1/3 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup water
Dash of salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon strawberry gelatin
2-3 pints  fresh strawberries, sliced in halves and quarters

Instructions:
Bake pie crust and let cool. Set aside.

Combine sugar, cornstarch, water and salt and bring to a boil. Boil on medium heat for 1 minute. Remove from heat and mix in gelatin and vanilla. Let glaze cool to room temperature.

Gently fold sliced strawberries into glaze and pour into baked pie shell. Chill in refrigerator for 4 hours or until set. Serve with whipped cream, if desired. (I highly suggest the whipped cream though.)

Makes 6-8 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment