Monday, October 24, 2011

Butternut Squash Soup

Erin makes this soup every Fall and I love it so much! I look forward to it every year. She taught me how to make it last night and I wanted to share this yummy goodness with you.


2 medium-sized Butternut squash
milk/half-and-half/cream (it depends on how healthy you want to be)
small onion (or onion powder...I didn't have one last night)
salt
pepper
cumin
coriander 
cardamom

Chop squash into medium-large pieces and steam for about 30 minutes. Remove from pot and peel off the skin. (Note: you could peel it before, but this way is much easier even if your working with boiling hot squash. Or if you're smart,  you'll let it cool off first...but we were in a hurry.) Cut the squash into smaller pieces and return to pot and boil until squash is tender. (A chopped onion can be added sometime during this boiling process...)

Drain the water from the pot and set aside. Place everything else into the blender and puree. Return it to the pot. Use milk, and the water set aside from before, to thin out the soup to your desired consistency. 

Season with salt, pepper, cumin, coriander, cardamom or whatever you have. The squash is very flavorful so it's easy to play around with different spices. 

Serve with cranberry sauce and/or cream.


No comments:

Post a Comment